Monday, April 27, 2009

Budget Cooking (week 1)

With the economy the way it is I thought I would share our budget cooking. We still eat good and sometimes even have leftovers. I am only posting our Dinner Menu. But we do budget cooking all 3 meals everyday. Most of these are for 4 servings (2 adults and 2 small children)

(this is not necessarily what we will be eating this week but just 7 days worth of budget dinners)

  • Pork Roast, Potatoes, Onions, Carrots and Rolls ($9.93)

Roast 6.05/Potatoes $1.17/Onion .52/Carrots 1.00/Rolls 1.19

  • Chicken Fajitas and Refried Beans ($7.53)

Chicken 2.03/Peppers 3 for 1.00/Onion .43/Fajita Seasoning .50/Tortillas 1.79

Sour Cream 1.00/ 1lb. Beans .78

  • Grilled Chicken, Corn on the Cob, Peas ($3.61)

Chicken(3 Breasts) 2.73/Corn 4 for 1.00/Peas(frozen) .88

  • Steak, Baked Potatoes, Salad ($8.36)

Flat Iron Steak 4.02/Lawry's Marinade .60/Potatoes(3) .93/Bag Salad 1.00

Ranch .43/ Cheese 1.00/ Tomato .38

  • Chicken Quesadillas and Spanish Rice ($7.09)

Chicken (2 breasts) 2.14/Cheese 1.00/ Tortillas 1.79/Rice 1.00/ Tomatoes (canned) .78

Onion .38

  • Pork Chops, Green Beans, Butter and Herb Pasta ($3.81)

Chops(3) 1.93/ Green Beans (Frozen) .88/ Knorrs Butter and Herb Pasta 1.00

  • Sloppy Joes, Homemade Fries, Pasta Salad ($7.02)

Buns .88/ Burger 1.78/ Potatoes(4) 1.17/ Seasonings <1.00/pasta>

TOTAL OF: 47.35

We make out our menus based on what is on sale at our local Fry's (Division of Kroger). I also try to match up coupons with what is on sale. We also buy most of our fruit and veggies at the "Ranch Market" due to they are about 1/4 of the cost of grocery stores. My biggest thing is: When meat is on sale...STOCK UP! That is the most expensive part of cooking! When Fry's had hamburger on sale for .88/lb I bought 45 lbs. Chicken is the same way...they will have it for .88/lb and we will buy 30-40lbs. On those weeks I don't buy much of anything else except what we need. This helps balance out the budget. You don't see many fruits on here because that isn't something we work into the menu because we eat them all day long! Also alot of our breakfast "budget" is cereal, fruit, bread and oatmeal...all of which on inexpensive. Our grocery budget is $70 for week for our family. Most weeks I only spend $50-55. I hope this helps everyone out there who reads my blog :)

1 comment:

Cassie said...

Good job! I can tell you have a wonderful farmer's market with those prices on veggies! I'm jealous. The Warsaw farmer's market opens May 1st. I've never gone to it but I plan on it. Can you do some container gardening down there? I tried a garden last year but didn't keep up on it. With the baby coming this summer I know I can't this year but I'd like to try a container garden for some tomatoes, green peppers, and cucumbers. I think I can manage to keep up with 3 pots!